To celebrate the birth of Poppy (Kassie and AD’s second child) I am making a woodland mobile as a reminder of the wonders of nature. It is inspired by Helen Ward’s felt baby mobile; http://birdface.net/2012/07/26/felt-woodland-baby-mobile-with-tutorial/.
- Template felt mobile
- Sheet of felt in various colours. I used 7 sheets of felt
- Paper scissors
- Embroidery scissors (preferable)
- Needle and possibly needle threader
- Coloured embroidery thread, doesn’t have to be exactly the same colour as the felt.
- Dowel or twig, 60cm long
- Sand paper
- String or twine
- Hot glue gun or super glue
- Print and cut out the template.
- Pin template onto desired colour of felt and cut out. Blanket stitch edges of felt with 2 embroidery threads in corresponding colour.
Mushroom: cut out 2 mushroom tops and 1 stalk. Blanket stitch edges of stalk first, then place stalk between 2 mushroom tops and blanket stitch together.
Leaves: Back stitch veins on one side of the leaf. Blanket stitch two leaf cut outs together. Repeat 8 times to make 8 leaves.
Dragon fly: Cut out wings and 2 bodies. Blanket stitch edges of wings first, then place wings between 2 bodies and blanket stitch together.
Bug: Cut out 2 wings and 1 body. Blanket stitch edges of body and 2 wings. Position wings either side of body and couple of stitches together in the middle of the wings.
Flower 1: Cut out 2 petals and 2 stamen’s. Blanket stitch edges of all of these pieces. Position petals so they cross over. Put stamen’s either side of petals and couple of stitches through all layers in the middle of the stamen to keep it together.
Flower 2: Cut out 1 larger petals, 2 inner petals and 2 stamen’s. Blanket stitch edges of all of these pieces. Position inner petals so they cross over with the larger petals. Put stamen’s either side of inner petals and couple of stitches through all layers in the middle of the stamen to keep it together.
- Thread the felt pieces onto fishing line. Carefully thread through one layer of felt with the mushroom stalk and bug body. Thread the leaves on in different angles. Knot the fishing line to keep the felt things in place.
Mushroom: Thread 1 leaf, mushroom then 1 leaf onto fishing line.
Dragon fly: Thread 1 leaf then 2 leaves onto fishing line.
Bug: Thread 1 leaf, bug then 1 leaf onto fishing line.
Flower 1: Thread flower then 1 leaf onto fishing line.
Flower 2: Thread flower then 1 leaf onto fishing line.
- Cut 2 dowel into 2 pieces, 30cm long. Sand paper the edges of the dowel so it’s not sharp.
- With string or twine wrap around the dowel to make a cross.
- Attach a length of fishing line to the middle of cross so that the mobile can be hung.
- Tie the lengths of fishing line with felt things onto the dowel. Move the fishing line along the length of dowel so to make it balanced.
- Use hot glue gun or super glue where you have tied the fishing line to the dowel to keep the fishing line in place.